Blog Archive

Friday, February 4, 2011

Southwestern Surprise

{Recently I've been in the mood for sharing (everything I do)! Hope you enjoy!}

Today for lunch I made one of my favorite (eat and be merry) meals; Southwestern Surprise (super thick soup, that eats like a meal)! I figured with the horrible weather (everywhere), this is the perfect cold day, warm you up meal! Its very easy, all you need are the ingredients (which I'll share), a can opener, a pot, and a stirring device of sorts (I recommend a spoon). Oh and a stove to cook it on. I guess if you were being all man vs. wild you could make this over a fire. But the only way I would ever do that is if Bear Grylls (I know we have nothing in common, but what can I say I enjoy a man's man) was with me. Anyways back to the Southwestern Surprise(did I mention its delicious). I got the recipe from Lisa Lillien's Hungry Girl Cookbook (FYI she was just on Nate Berkus), I highly recommend this recipe (and her book)! So here's the recipe and some photos (I hate when cook books don't have pictures) to guide you along.

The finished product with the cookbook!

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces cooked ground turkey (Lisa says 4 ounces ground beef but I prefer turkey and bc its leaner I double it...but you could easily make this a vegetarian meal, and forget the meat)
  • 1 (16 ounce) pkg of frozen corn 
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3 (14.5 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes (trust me, follow this step, otherwise it's too salty)
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
  • 1 envelope taco seasoning mix
  • 1 envelope ranch dip/dressing mix
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
And that's it...for me at least. Lisa says to add 1/4 cup minced onions, but I forgot one time and couldn't taste a difference. So I figured it was more work than it was worth.

Now the great thing about this recipe is that its a one pot meal (easy clean up). If you have cooked ground turkey (or beef) already made great, if not that's where you would start; cook you meat until it is no longer pink. (I'm not showing a picture of ground turkey because raw meat still kind of grosses me out...so here's picture of the pot)
This size pot works great!
 Once your meat is done cooking, pour in the tomatoes.
Then add the corn (yes I love Publix...no they are not paying me)
Stir that all together, I love using a wooden spoon, there's something so old school about it.
Rinse and drain your beans, and then stir them in.

Now these are your two ingredients that make this meal delicious.
Stir it all together. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow it to sit for a least 5 minutes (to thicken up) Add salt and pepper to taste. {To all my salt lovers, definitely taste it before adding more, this meal is very well seasoned!}
YUMMY!
I absolutely love this meal! Not only is it delicious but its good for you too! A generous cup of this is just a little over 150 calories. Its got 1g of fat, 6.5g of fiber, and almost 15g of protein per serving. And it taste even better the next day. Now I'm not but if you happen to be celebrating a certain national sporting event this weekend, I believe that this would be a huge hit, with men and women! Hope you enjoy! Thanks for checking out my blog! XXOO




P.S. I know this is not off my list but I do have something (you're really going to like) planned for tomorrow. An early Valentines Day surprise! So stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Deanna it so is! I think even a big man like Pat would like it!

    ReplyDelete