Blog Archive

Monday, March 21, 2011

Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies


My photography skills do not do these cookies justice!
 Imagine eating a very moist cupcake in which every bite has the perfect amount of frosting. That's exactly what these whoopie pies are like! I made these for the first time for a friends birthday. Before that I'd never had a whoopie pie. Now I'm in love! I still love cupcakes (the presentation is better, plus I have an adorable cupcake stand) but I'm definitely now a fan of the whoopie pie. Know that I wouldn't share a recipe if it wasn't amazing (trust me they are). Enjoy!

{This recipe is not my own, it's Martha's (who else)}

Ingredients for the cookies:
  • 3 1/2 cups AP flour
  • 1 1/2  cups unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 TB baking soda
  • 1 TSP baking powder
  • 1 TSP salt
  • 2 sticks unsalted (I use salted...whatever) butter, room temp.
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups Buttermilk, room temp *
  • 2 TSP vanilla extract
Ingredients for the filling:
  • 1 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 2 sticks unsalted (again I use salted) butter, room temp.
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • course salt (optional)**
How-to-make the Cookies
Preheat oven to 400
  1. Mix together the first 5 ingredients.
  2. In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
  3. Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
  4. On a low speed, slowly add dry ingredients, mix until combined.
  5. Drop 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter onto prepared baking sheets***, spacing them 2 inches apart.
  6. Bake until set about 8 mins, rotating halfway through. (When the top of a cookie is gently touched, it should feel soft but not wet)
  7. Leave on the pan for a minute and then cool completely on a wire rack.
How-to-make the Filling
  1. With an electric mixer, beat peanut butter and butter on high speed until smooth.
  2. Reduce speed to low, add confectioners' sugar, mix until combined
  3. Raise speed to high and mix until fluffy and smooth, about 3 mins.
  4. Season with salt, if desired
I don't feel like I need to explain how-to-assemble the cookies, look at the picture and I'm sure you'll figure it out. But don't be afraid to use a generous amount of filling for each whoopie pie, Martha knows what she's talking about. Trust me there is plenty!

*Normally I'm a slacker and I just use regular milk. But since these were for a friend, I went all out and bought buttermilk (for the first time). Trust me it's very different than regular milk. First it's very thick (kind of gross looking) and it has a very strong butter smell. Since I've only made this recipe with the buttermilk, I can only advise that you do too!
**Like I said, I used salted butter, so I didn't feel the need to add (more) salt.
***I used parchment paper (less clean up) but it's totally up to you. Use pam baking spray (which works amazingly well), butter & flour, or straight up animal fat (crisco), just make sure you prepare your pan!

Oh, and if you happen to not like peanut butter & chocolate (I think you're crazy, but whatever), you can always substitute the filling with another kind of frosting!

1 comment:

  1. How is it possible that I've never heard of whoppie pie before? This is RIGHT up my alley!

    ReplyDelete