|I blame Nancy Drew for my obsession with Lemon Squares!|
Ingredients for the crust:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, frozen*, plus more for the dish
- 1 3/4 cups AP Flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 tsp coarse salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tbs AP Flour
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat** oven to 350. Butter a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish***, and line with parchment (I don't know why you do both...I tend to not question Martha).
- Make crust: Grate butter on a cheese grater with large holes; set aside. Whisk together flour, confectioners' sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add butter, stir with a wooden spoon until combined and mixture looks crumbly.
- Transfer mixture to prepared dish; press evenly onto bottom with your hands. Freeze Crust 15 minutes. Bake until slightly golden, 16-18 minutes. Leave oven on.
- Meanwhile, make filling: Whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, flour, and salt in a bowl until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and milk. Pour over hot crust.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 and bake until filling is set and edges are slightly golden brown, about 18 minutes minutes. Let cool slightly on a wire rack. Lift out; let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into 2-inch squares. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
**Depending on how fast your oven heats up (mine is pretty quick) I would recommend waiting to preheat your oven until you are done making the crust and its in the freezer...otherwise you are wasting a lot of energy. Go green people, wait to preheat!
***I don't have a glass dish that size, so I just used a normal baking pan. I ended up having to leave the crust in the oven a few minutes longer, as well as the filling. But they still came out great!
|YUMMY!!! (Ignore the random salt shaker and glass of water)|