Blog Archive

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Box Curry (trust me it's delicious)

Know that this is not like a boxed macaroni and cheese version of curry. This is what Sandra Lee would call a semi-homemade recipe. Pretty much the only thing from the box is the curry sauce (and it's not even sauce...it's actually a solid block of curry that you break apart). You still use fresh vegetables, which you cut up and cook yourself (I mean you could use pre-cut or rotten vegetables for that matter, but I don't recommend that). I'm sure you can make great curry other ways, but this is how I've made it like my whole life (my family made curry on pretty much a weekly basis...yes I know I'm blessed). I just use the recipe off the box (minus the meat) because it is so simple. The kind I buy is called Golden Curry, if you like any kind of spice I recommend getting the hot (I love spice). Even though you'll need to buy a box to do this and the recipe is on the box. I'm still going to share the recipe, just to show how simple it is. I hope if curry is something you like or are interested in trying, that you will give this recipe a try. It's one of my faves!  Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 1 large Onion (more if you like) chopped
  • 3-5 Carrots peeled and chopped
  • 1-2 Bell Peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 4-6 Potatoes (I use red skinned because you don't have to peel them...I'm lazy), chopped
  • It says to add celery but I don't like celery in it You can pretty much add any other veggie you like. 
  • 1-2 TBS of Oil (your choice) 
  • And water...like I said pretty simple
Directions:
  1. Cut up all your veggies
  2. Set your burner to a medium-high heat. 
  3. Put the oil in the bottom of a large pot, oh and make sure it has a cover (I know most people have matching pots and pan sets, but if you are like me, tops to pots have magically disappeared) 
  4. Throw your onions into the pot, saute them until they are lightly brown (approx. 3 mins). 
  5.  Add your other veggies and your water (pretty much I add enough water, so that it almost covers all the veggies. Add more or less depending on how thick you want the curry to be. I like mine moderately thick) 
  6. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until veggies are tender (approx. 10 mins)
  7. Remove from heat, break Golden Curry Mix into pieces and add them to the pot, stir until completely melted. 
  8. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly. 
  9. Serve over rice or noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment