Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Just call me Dorothy Gale

 There's no place like home. Oh Judy Garland when I hear you say those words it's as if you are speaking directly to me. Recently I've been reminded of how good a movie the Wizard of Oz is. It's one of the first movies I can honestly remember watching as a child (I believe I have my mom to thank for that...it's one of her favorite films). Watching it as a child I remember wanting to have a dress just like Glinda's and being petrified of the flying monkeys. With my trip home less than 48 hours away (in case we aren't friends on FB, and you haven't been tempted to block me because of my annoying countdown statuses, I'm going home on Friday), I can't think of a place I'd rather be. And Dorothy's words could not be more true. Honestly for this whole past week I haven't thought of anything besides home (well home and the Hunger Games...I'm not too thrilled with who they casted for Finnick...but that's another blog, another day). And now as someone who has actually left home, the message behind the movie has a whole new meaning to me.

I've always loved being at home. I'm what some would call a homebody...others would say a recluse (not really, I mean I like people...and by people I mean my mom, my dog, and Martha Stewart...just kidding I like other people..and by that I mean like 5 other people). Anyways, let's just say I didn't have my bags packed the day I graduated High School. Far from it, I didn't move out of my childhood home, until last October, at the ripe old age of 23.That's not to say that I didn't leave for short intervals of time. In between graduating high school and moving to Iowa, I traveled to 2 different continents (went to 6 countries total), spent 3 of my summers working at a camp in North Carolina, and got a tattoo (that last one really didn't involve leaving but it made me sound less boring than I really am). So you see, I've had my little bouts of adventure and thrills here and there.

But when it comes down to it, I like spending time at home. I like being surrounded by people I know and like (that latter qualification makes that a very small number of people). I like being able to just be my weird and awkward self and not have to explain it (and better yet be surrounded by people who are just as weird and awkward). I've never been an on-the-go kind of person. I could spend most days in the confines of my house and be fine with it. I'm not someone who needs constant entertainment (that might have to do with the fact that I find myself to be pretty amusing, but again blogging about my narcissism will have to wait). I've never been a super spontaneous person. I'm the girl who every Tuesday night in High school watched One Tree Hill with a plate of taco's because on Tuesdays we had Taco's <insert and on Wednesday's we wear pink>...no joke Taco Tuesdays were that serious in my house>. I am someone who loves tradition, and familiarity. Don't get me wrong, I'll try new recipes, I'll buy random colored nail polishes, I'll travel some place new, but when it's all said and done, I always come back to what I know. No matter where I've traveled to, I always end up back home.

So with everything I just said about who I am, it's hard to believe that for the past 10 months I've lived so far from home, so far from my comfort zone <insert so far from my mom>. I know the distance between Iowa and Florida doesn't seem that far (but let's be real it's almost an entire days drive to travel to and fro), but for me it's as if I'm in a whole other world, as if I truly am in Oz. But unlike Dorothy I wasn't brought here by some tornado (and thankfully my arrival didn't result in anyone's death...that I know of), I came by choice. Last fall I packed up my belongings and headed for Iowa. Oh and brought my little dog too (sorry I couldn't resist). I know that I am not on this path by chance, and that there is a purpose behind my journey. I'm not quite sure where this path is going to take me. But my hope is that my story has an ending similar to that of Dorothy's...no I'm not hoping for anyone to die...my hope is that I eventually make it home <insert long exaggerated sigh>. But for now I will settle for a short visit home. I wish I had a better movie like ending to this blog, but really what I've just shared with you is a story in progress, the ending is still unknown. So I guess i'll end with one of my favorite lines from the film:

"Well, I - I think that it - it wasn't enough to just want to see Uncle Henry and Auntie Em - and it's that - if I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" - Dorothy Gale

Hope you enjoyed this blog! Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Your blog made me crack up. Don't know how long you'll be in town for but I'd love to see you! I can help you cross off 62 on your list ;) Sounds like you've been doing well girlie! Miss you.
    P.S. "I have this theory, that if you cut off all her hair she'd look like a british man." <3 Kaitlyn Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. ONE TREE HILL!

    It's been awhile since you have blogged, I was ECSTATIC when I saw the link! :)Have fun witch yo Mama!

    ReplyDelete