Blog Archive

Thursday, May 8, 2014

5 Tips to Make Moving Not Suck

In the past two and half years I've lived in three different states (Florida-->Iowa -->Nebraska) and I've moved three times. I've moved twice in just the past seven months. I didn't really have a choice, my job decided we were going to relocate our residential facility across state lines and that I was going to be in charge of the move <insert your best oh crap face>. It's a long story but the process of us moving from Iowa to Nebraska took two moves. And I'm not talking about your college style move where you throw everything (garbage and dirty laundry included) into black trash-bags and pack up your car, and move. No I'm talking about a legit adult move. One that involves boxes, packing tape, and a serious risk of having a mental breakdown.

Prior to this, anytime I ever moved I was only responsible for my own belongings <insert I lived with my parents>. That pretty much consisted of clothes, bedding, and my Gilmore Girl DVD collection. My mom always handled the major stuff. Well sadly she could not come to Iowa, and do the move <insert my job> for me. But by the grace of pinterest I picked up some really good moving tips and my move(s) were practically flawless <insert human error and other uncontrollable variables occurred but the tips all worked>. Though I still hate moving, I've realized that it doesn't have to be a stress filled mess riddled with emotional breakdowns and packing peanuts.

So here are my five tips that hopefully will make your next moving experience not suck (as much).




Get rid of crap. I know you've heard this before. So I don't need to say much about it. Just do it. Have a garage sale, take it to goodwill, sell it on eBay, as Elsa would say let it go.

Moving like an adult doesn't have to be expensive. Grocery stores are great places to get boxes from. Also use containers you already have (i.e. baskets, suitcases, etc). Wrap breakables with things like towels, socks, or like me aprons. Crumpled up magazine pages work great as padding. In my moves I only paid for tape and sharpies. Save the green by being green.

Make a list of what is in each box. Super Simple. And if you have time write where each box is going in your new home. This tip helped me the most. You don't have to type it up <insert I'm crazy>. It not only helps direct where things are to go. But if you're like me and don't plan on unpacking every box the first day, this helps you know which ones you want to open first. Also it helps to be specific. Rather than just put kitchen, write things like spices, utensils, toaster, etc. That way when you're looking for a specific item you can find it.

To do tip 3, it is essential that you do this tip as well. This is really step 3b (but 5 tips sounded better than 4). On your list write the number, then write what is in said box. Again simple. I mean I guess if you have 26 boxes or less, you could letter them. Or if you had a lot of free time, you could get creative, and name each box (i.e Potter box, Black box, Lovegood box, etc.). That's for you to decide. Also I found it helpful to write the number on multiple places on the box.
And by that I mean have all of your essential supplies in one place. A basket makes sense since you will probably be moving around a lot, so you want something you can carry with you. Basically you put everything you need in here. Packing tape, scotch tape, masking tape, a measuring tape, scissors, post its, screw driver, sharpies, pens, five hour energy, crack, whatever you need to get the job done. Not only does this keep you organized but it keeps you productive. If you're constantly having to look for a sharpie or a pair of scissors, it will make this process suck more.

And after all my goal of this blog was to help your next move suck less. In the end the best thing to do is to pick a system that works for you, stick with it, and stay organized. Happy Moving Days, and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Bonus Tip: Check out Pinterest. There are so many brilliant ideas on there. One pin that helped me a lot was from a blog called I Heart Nap Time . For all you soon to be movers, it is worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment